This article is part of our series on Choosing an Assisted Living Community
Activities and Transportation
Residents often want to stay involved in their local community organizations. With that being said, making sure the community has sufficient transportation to surrounding areas. Some assisted and independent communities may even host those groups and organizations on-site for your loved one!
Seniors appreciate participating in activities and events such as watching sports or socializing with friends and family. The activity program at the community should meet the physical, intellectual, emotional, social, spiritual, and vocational needs of the residents.
Questions to ask can be:
- Are activities individualized and spontaneous as well as scheduled?
- Are there award-winning activity programs?
- Are there activities on evenings and weekends?
- Are there activities for residents to attend off-site?
- Are residents encouraged to volunteer?
- How are residents informed of activities?
- Is transportation service available? What are the costs and how often does it run?
For Part 1 in this series click here
For Part 2 click here
For Part 3 click here
If you are ready to start your senior living search, click here.