This article is part of our series on Choosing the Right Assisted Living Community.
As a family member, friend, or caregiver; finding the right assisted living community is one of the most important decisions you can make. Your loved one’s health, financial picture, and happiness are all critical in deciding which community is the best fit. With so much information coming at you, it can be hard to prioritize what to pay attention to.
Learn About the Community
When visiting an assisted or independent living community for the first time it is important to know the background of the senior living community and company operating it. Things such as how long the community has been owned, their operational philosophy, the longevity of staff, and the access to the on-site staff is important information when deciding to move into a community.
Questions to ask when taking a tour (or virtual tour) can be:
- Who operates the community? How long have they operated it?
- How often are the operators/managers on-site?
- How long has the Executive director/Administrator been with the community?
- How long has the Resident Care Director/Nurse been with the community?
- Are background checks done on all staff and volunteers?
- What is the feeling you get when you interact with the residents and the staff?
- Does the community practice a relationship-centered approach to caregiving?
- Does the community feel “warm” and “cozy”?
- How often are community meetings held?
Stay tuned for the next post in our series about Choosing the Right Assisted Living Community. If you are ready to start your senior living search, click here.